In this month’s Atlas Annuity Rate Report, you’ll notice that MYGA’s have increased slightly. Plus, I will list the highest returns of the indexes that have the increased participation rates that are optional with the fee. There are still many considerations that I take into account. I always consider the renewal rate history of the companies I recommend. Meaning, it does no good if a company will give you a 100% participation rate if they have a track record of decreasing that rate during your next indexing period. There are plenty of options for solid renewal rate track records. For the most up-to-date returns or information on 5-year and 7-year FIA’s please click the “Schedule A Call” button or reach me directly at 636.926.6500.
Here are the latest annuity returns in the marketplace as of January 2021:
MYGA’s are increasing!
Multi-Year Guaranteed Annuities (MYGA’s):
- 2 Year – B+ company – Free Withdrawal Yr1/Yr2 0%/0% – 2.15%
- 2 Year – A- company – Free Withdrawal Yr1/Yr2 0%/10% – 2.00% (Increased 15 BPS)
- 2 Year – B+ company – Free Withdrawal Yr1/Yr2+ Int/5% – 1.75%
- 3 Year – A- company – Free Withdrawal Yr1/Yr2+ 0%/10% – 2.50% (Increased 15 BPS)
- 4 Year – A- company – Free Withdrawal Yr1/Yr2+ 0%/10% – 2.75% (Increased 15 BPS)
- 4 Year – B+ company—Free Withdrawal Yr1/Yr2 5%/5% — 2.70%
- 5 Year – B++ company – Free Withdrawal Yr1/Yr2+ 0%/0% – 3.15%
- 5 Year – B++company — Free Withdrawal Yr1/Yr2+ 0%/10% – 3.00%
When it comes to FIA’s, we do not want to just look at the highest returns, but the lowest returns as well. If a product has performed at, let’s say 12% over the latest ten-year period, but only 2% in the worst ten-year period, that is too much of a spread in returns. So, that would not be a good recommendation. We want to look at an annuity that has a spread of less than 3% in best and worst timeframes over a 20 year backtest.
The following products not only have a phenomenal return in the most recent ten-year period but a strong return in the worst ten-year period!
- A-Rated Company – 5% Spread with 100% Participation Rate – 9.27%!!!
- A-Rated Company – 0% Spread with 60% Participation Rate – 8.51%!!!
- A+ Rated Company – 2.25% Spread with 100% Participation Rate – 7.85%!!!
Then, there is Fixed Indexed Linked Annuity (FILA) that I wrote about on August 12, 2021. You can find that article under “Newsletters”. It’s an A-Rated Company that allows you to risk up to 10% of your gains, not your principal, but your gains only in exchange for a higher participation rate or cap on the mother of all indexes, the S&P 500.
- A-Rated Company with a 65% Participation Rate, or an 11.5% Cap Rate, on an annual point-to-point.
- The results of the backtesting came in for this one: 7.81%!!!
Please keep in mind that these are an average annual return and not the total return over the last ten-year period. That’s some serious growth considering these products have zero fees and do not risk your money like a stock, bond, or mutual fund will.
- If you are willing to pay an indexing fee for a higher participation rate to possibly increase your gains, the highest 10-year return to date for an increased indexing strategy is with an A-Rated company and has returned 12.35%!!!
I normally do not recommend these because you can go backward in years when the index has a negative return.
However, there are several companies that offer a total reimbursement of your indexing fee and will guarantee that you never have less than your original premium that was allocated to the annuity. So, there is definitely a place for the indexing strategy with the fee. But that will be individual recommendations according to your wishes.
When we design your annuity strategy, we will discuss how to use crediting methods to give you the best chance of getting a return every single year with the highest participation rates available.
In addition to these phenomenal rates that have absolutely zero risk associated with them; they do leave you access to 10% of your money starting at the beginning of Year-2 (certain annuities will give you access in Year-1). For a complete strategy on how to effectively use one of these products with my Atlas Annuity Strategy, instead of bonds or other products that risk your money, and potentially save yourself tens of thousands of dollars in management fees, click the link to see a complete overview. Or schedule a time for a short conversation by clicking the yellow “SCHEDULE A CALL” button!
(NOTE: For compliance reasons, I will not be listing company names. We would need to have a legitimate conversation about that. These rates are the latest for the State of Missouri. Please call for the latest returns in your state of residence. As listed above, there are higher returns listed in my software, but I normally do not recommend them, unless there is a guaranteed Return of Premium, because I do not like to see my clients go backward with their money. Almost every Fixed Indexed Annuity offers a higher participation rate for a fee. However, if a crediting strategy has a negative return in any given crediting term, it will not affect your principal, but you would be charged a fee for the increased participation in a said index. If you would be willing to have the fee deducted from your principle, I’m happy to discuss the options available. As in any financial product that you may be investigating, current returns do not guarantee future results.)
All the best,